The Cornell University
2020 2021 Day(s) of Data will be held January 27-28, 2021! *
The Day of Data 2021 is an event for anyone working with data - beginners, experts, students, researchers, and everyone in between - to come together to share experiences, find solutions for data-related problems, learn effective tools and techniques, and network with colleagues from across the university. This year, the Day of Data will be entirely virtual, spread across TWO days and the program will include presentations, lightning talks, poster sessions, discussion panels and workshops. We welcome participation from students, faculty and staff across all the Cornell campuses.
We understand that videoconferencing is not optimized for universal design and accessibility. Please contact the conference organizers (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible if you anticipate needing accessibility support, so that we can design an approach that fits as much of our community as possible.
* Previously October 13, 2020; changed due to COVID-related shifts in the academic calendar
The theme of the Day of Data 2021 is "Scholarship through Collaboration". We encourage attendees to consider how recent collaborative projects using or creating research data from any discipline helped reveal insights, challenges, or opportunities. Sharing these experiences will allow us to learn from one another, broaden ideas on how we work, and inspire new ways of working with data to forward our scholarship, through collaboration. This can include, but is not limited to:
- Collaborations from student group projects
- Collaborations between groups within or outside an organization or institution
- How collaborations improved an established workflow, idea or process
- When collaborations met challenges or roadblocks and how you overcame those
- Failures and lessons learned
- Collaborations that came about, were enhanced, or were altered by COVID-19's disruption to the way you work or learn
We are currently accepting proposals for participation in the Day of Data 2021 event. If you have something to share, we want to hear about it! Please use this online form to submit your proposal for participation, or register to attend the event.
Preference will be given to proposals that:
- Illustrate dealing with challenges
- Come from a broad range of disciplines or have participants from a broad range of backgrounds
- Are relevant to multiple domains and researchers
- May be translated to other contexts
Types of proposals:
- Workshops (Hands-on demonstration about a tool or software, 30-120 min)
- Presentations (Will be matched with others to form a panel, 10-15 min)
- Discussion Panels (Propose a topic, with up to 5 panelists, 45 min)
- Lightning Talks (5 min)
- Posters (5 min)
The program committee will consider:
- Appropriateness of the proposal for the session type
- Impact of practices, conclusions or recommendations (if applicable)
- Organization and clarity
- Engagement of participants
- How the proposal provides and encourages multiple perspectives and views on the topic or subject
- NOTE: Proposals are encouraged to address the event theme, but doing so is not necessary. Any timely and coherent subject related to your work with data will be considered.
- Proposals will be accepted through November 25, 2020 5pm EDT
- Decisions will be sent by December 11, 2020
- Deadline to accept is December 21,2020
Submissions require the contact information of the primary presenter / point of contact, the proposal type, and the title, summary (max 300 words), a brief statement about what informed your involvement in this topic, and a few subject keywords describing the proposal. Panel proposals will ask for the names of potential panelists.