The Research Data Management Service Group (RDMSG) is a collaborative, campus-wide organization that links Cornell University faculty, staff and students with data management services to meet their research needs. The RDMSG’s broad range of science, policy, data, and information technology experts provide timely and professional assistance for the creation and implementation of data management plans, and help researchers find specialized data management services they require at any stage of the research process, including initial exploration, data gathering, analysis and description, long term preservation and access.
RDMSG consultants strive to meet the Cornell research community’s data management needs. Consultants:
- Provide timely and professional assistance in the creation and implementation of data management plans.
- Encourage best practices in data management, including those that promote sharing, reuse, and preservation of research data, while respecting the concerns and practical constraints researchers face.
- Bring diverse backgrounds and expertise to the RDMSG and recognize when additional expertise may be required to meet a researcher’s needs.
- Share information with other RDMSG consultants to provide the best possible service, while collectively treating all information in grant proposals as confidential.
- Refer researchers to the most appropriate services, whether at Cornell or elsewhere.
- The RDMSG provides guidance on data management planning based on the collective research, computational, and information management experience of its consultants, as well as the stated requirements of research funders.
- The RDMSG does not provide advice on legal or compliance issues.
- RDMSG services are offered without any specific guarantee of funding success.
- January 2017, Research Data Management at Cornell [PDF]
- January/February 2016, Research Data Management at Cornell [PDF] [Streaming Recording] [Download Recording]
2019 Cornell Day of Data: Any person. Any study. Any data. Oct 15, 2019. Event Website
Darragh, Jennifer, Wendy Kozlowski, Anita de Waard and Michael Jones. 2018. Improving research data management interactions. Library Connect Webinar. May 10, 2018. available online
Darragh, Jennifer, Wendy Kozlowski, Reid Boehm and Jean Shipman. 2018. Improving the Quality and Quantity of RDM Interactions on Campus: Optimising UMAMI (Workshop). RDAP Summit. March 23, 2018.
Kozlowski, Wendy. 2018. Giving Them What They Want: Development of an Interactive Tool for Exploring Data Storage Options. RDAP Summit. Chicago, IL. March 21, 2018. available online
Kozlowski, Wendy and Erica Johns. 2017. Research Data Management Service Group 2016-2017 Report. available online
Kozlowski, Wendy. 2014. Building Collaborative Data Management Support at Cornell University. National Network of Libraries of Medicine's "Doing It Your Way: Approaches to Research Data Management for Libraries" Data Symposium. New York, NY. April 28, 2014. available online
Kozlowski, Wendy. 2013. The Digital Research Lifecycle: Support and Engagement at Cornell University. American Library Association’s Public Service Directors of Large Research Libraries Discussion Group. Chicago, IL. June 30, 2013.
Kozlowski, Wendy, Sally Rumsey and Karen Smith-Yoshimura. 2013. Managing Research Data: From Goals to Reality. OCLC Research Library Partnership Webinar. May 14, 2013. available online
Kozlowski, Wendy, Dianne Dietrich, Gail Steinhart and Sarah Wright. 2013. Research Data in eCommons @ Cornell: Present and Future. Poster at the Research Data Access and Preservation Summit. Baltimore, MD. April 5, 2013. available online
Steinhart, Gail. 2013. How can we help you? Institutional Support for Data Management Planning. Columbia University Research Data Symposium. New York, NY. February 27, 2013.
Kovari, Jason, Wendy Kozlowski and Danielle Mericle. 2012. Collaborative Service Models: Building Support for Digital Scholarship. Digital Library Federation Forum. Denver, CO. November 5, 2012. available online
Wright, Sarah. 2012. Connecting Researchers with Research Data Management Information. Poster at the University of Massachusetts and New England Area Librarian eScience Symposium. Worchester, MA. April 4, 2012. available online
Wright, Sarah and Wendy Kozlowski, 2012. Convergence: Integrating diverse perspectives to provide a single point of service. Poster at the Research Data Access and Preservation Summit. New Orleans, LA. March 22, 2012. available online
Steinhart, Gail, Eric Chen, Florio Arguillas, Dianne Dietrich, Stefan Kramer. 2012. Prepared to Plan? A Snapshot of Researcher Readiness to Address Data Management Planning Requirements. Journal of eScience Librarianship. available online
Steinhart, Gail. 2011. Institutional Support for Data Management Requirements. Presentation at the spring meeting of the Coalition for Academic Scientific Computation. available online
Block, Bill, Eric Chen, Jim Cordes, Dianne Dietrich, Dean Krafft, Stefan Kramer, Dave Lifka, Janet McCue, and Gail Steinhart. 2010. Meeting Funders’ Data Policies: Blueprint for a Research Data Management Service Group (RDMSG). available online