Research Life Cycle
Research is a series of steps that are generally followed from conception to completion. The process is not necessarily linear, nor are the steps independent of one another as is often depicted in a lifecycle diagram. For best results, plan for data management right from the start with project design, and continue to revise and improve your plan throughout the entire data lifecycle.
Researchers in the life sciences may find the data management resources collected here of use for exploring solutions that have worked for others, identifying learning opportunities, and building community.
If you have ideas for content that should be here, or would like to share your experience, positive or negative, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community & Education
Center for Teaching Innovation Worshops & Events
Customized, on-demand training workshops for LabArchives electronic lab notebook software, as well as Canvas, Poll Everywhere, or other supported services
Biotechnology Resource Center Listing of News and Events AND Bio-IT Workshops and Training
Training workshops on the use software analysis tools and seminars on bio-IT topics of interest, often in collaboration with the other Biotechnology Resource Center cores
Center for Advanced Computing Training
Classroom and on demand online training including virtual workshops on topics such as programming, parallel programming, MPI, OpenMP, visualization, code improvement, data transfer, and databases
Cornell Center for Social Sciences Training
Workshops and training on Atlas.ti, R, SAS, SPSS, Stata, reproducible research, and other topics
Cornell Statistical Consulting Unit Workshops
Workshops on statistical topics with an emphasis on the application of statistical methods, rather than statistical theory
Cornell University Libraries
Workshops on data and GIS topics
Free workshops for improving your skills with standard office tools such as Excel, Oracle Calendar, and Photoshop, as well as more technical courses for IT professionals, often for a fee
Online training library of high-quality tutorial videos on the latest software tools and skills
- Using Box: Learn how to use Box better for sharing, collaborating, and more!
- Cool Tools: A place to share new technologies that may be of interest to the Cornell community.
- CVG Forum: A forum for CVG community members to ask questions, receive answers, and host discussions related to research in vertebrate genomics.
- Biotechnology Resource Center
- BIOG 3020: Research Skills for the Life Sciences II
- BTRY 6010: Statistical Methods I
- BTRY 6020: Statistical Methods II
- BTRY 4831/6831: Bioinformatics Programming
- BTRY 4810: Population Genetics
- BTRY 4820/6820: Statistical Genomics: Coalescent Theory and Human Population Genomics
- BTRY 4830/6830: Quantitative Genomics and Genetics
- BTRY 4840/6840: Computational Genetics and Genomics
- CS 4320 Introduction to Database Systems
- GOVT 6049 Categorical and Count Data
- NTRES 6600 / 6940: Managing data to facilitate your research: Data management seminar for graduate students
- ORIE 4741 Learning with Big Messy Data
- STSCI/BTRY 3080: Probability Models and Inference